www.sdlsuite.com Forum Index www.sdlsuite.com
Discussion of technical aspects of the SDL Component Suite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is SDL alive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.sdlsuite.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Is SDL alive? Reply with quote

I have been monitoring the activity of the development of the SDL suite for years now.
I'm not sure what is going on, but response to support threads is sparse. Beside this forum I do not get replies on e-mails as well.
So, what is going on with SDL?
I think that supporting a toolbox like SDL requires more effort than posting a single message every 5 months.
I trust there are valid reasons for this lack of engagement with customers, but at least I'd be clear about what is going on.
So, if SDL is not going to be supported anymore and only recompiled to new platforms without the addition of new features, please provide this information.
Publishing a roadmap would be helpful. This would help us customers to make a valid estimation on the use of the toolkit. Personally, I am waiting for feature I requested years ago and I have no idea whether it is on the agenda.. for that matter.. I don't have any clues on what's on the agenda which very much feeds my reluctancy to use the toolkit for anything serious...

Please, please, provide some information..
Regards,
Johann

If SDL has reached its end, then be open about it...
Happiness lies in acceptance... (George Orwell)
hlohning

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johann,

sorry for the sparse replies. Indeed, we faced difficult times during the last year, economic woes did not pass by without hitting us too, but there is light at the end of the tunnel....

So be assured that we are not dead, in fact, we are planning to make a comeback with updated products in the near future.

The schedule for the next two months includes the publishing of the latest version of the SDL Suite (including three new components, and many improvements), and it includes the release of a major update of DataLab (see http://www.lohninger.com/datalab/en_home.html).

Regards,

Hans
JCC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hans,

Good to hear from you again! I'm curious about the next release and I hope that Epina will get back in "flow"* again..

Best regards,
Johann

* Flow is the mental state of operation in which the person is fully immersed in what he or she is doing by a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity. Proposed by Mihály Csíkszentmihályi.
hlohning

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Johann,

you exactly hit the nail on the head. "Flow" was disrupted by nuisance caused by economic and organisational woes...

As any programmer knows, good programs can only be created if one is able to get into this flow. The necessary prerequisites are enough time and the absence of stress. So what I'll do next: I'm going to visit a lonely place during the next 10 days, without phones, without Internet, nobody to disturbe your thoughts.....

To my experience such times are the most productive phases, where a lot of new ideas come into existence, forming the basis for e.g. new components, or new scientific and technological approaches.

Kind regards,

Hans
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.sdlsuite.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: